This Vehicle is from one of our previous Auctions. To see the Vehicles in our latest Auction CLICK HERE
Registration No. MCD 336
Production of aero engines kept Armstrong Siddeley Motors busy during the Second World War, and in 1945 the factory was keen to put into production a postwar range of their “cars of aircraft quality”. As early as January 1943 the design of the new cars was sanctioned, and by 1944 prototypes of the 16hp range appeared, all celebrating the Hawker Siddeley Aviation Companies aero engines and bearing the names of famous aircraft; the first 12 models were delivered during December 1945. The chassis was of massive construction as befits a car intended for export to the colonies, and had a large central cruciform, with box section front and rear chassis rails, and was designed to incorporate independant front suspension by torsion bar. Rear suspension was by conventional leaf springs, steering was Burman worm and nut type, and brakes were Girling hydraulic at the front and rod operated mechanical at the rear, giving a failsafe option if the hydraulics failed. The engine, a 2 litre 16 hp at first, and later as in this car a 2.3 litre 18hp unit was a 6 cylinder ohv with a Westlake designed head employing hydraulic tappets. Wilson preselect gearboxes were usually fitted, but this example has the desirable four-speed manual box with synchromesh on top, third and second.